Thursday 6 March 2014

Been reading

Kinda noticed that a lot of things are happening in Seattle and San Fran this year. Kinda makes me wish I would be in the city for a good chunk of the year, but I doubt I'll even get near it. Most notably the GDC, which is coming up pretty fast. About 2 weeks from now. One of the bigger talks that I just caught wind of was about DirectX 12. Just a brief look at the comments over at Kotaku, and there seems to be someone that's really for it. At Polygon, it's quite the opposite. They like OpenGL/OpenCL more. No word on Mantle that I can see so far. There's very likely going to be a talk about that since AMD is going to be there (the list is quite long, and I don't really want to sift though it).

I don't really have a preference at the moment. There are some things in terms of syntax that I think Direct3D does better, and there are things that OpenGL does better. Both have pretty funny quirks to deal with. But Microsoft being Microsoft, they're probably going to be pushing for DX12 on their next Windows iteration. Maybe 2015? Either way, it's going to be interesting to see what happens with 3 major APIs in the mix. Kinda rooting for OpenGL because it's x-platform.



It's also really funny. My sister thinks there's nothing to do in Seattle other than to check out the original Starbucks location. Whereas I would love to visit because of all those software related ventures hiding around, and some marine based research if I'm not mistaken (there was something about starfish tearing themselves apart).

No comments:

Post a Comment